Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The City of Angeles

This week I'm in LA on business. It's a pretty busy week but myself, and a colleague that has accompanied me until tomorrow, have found time to see some of what Los Angeles has to offer. With my new digital camera in tow- we've seen such sites as The Santa Monica pier, which I would rate as a "if-you-have-time" on a scale of "Don't-Bother" to "Must-see/Do-it". We've window shopped in the Rodeo Drive, Wilshire Blvd district and took a drive down the Sunset Strip. Now, like every one else, I was super excited to come to Sunny California to get a taste of the glitz and glamour of this tinseltown they call LALA Land, but I'm sorry to say, I've been sorely disappointed thus far. To start with, I'm not sure what all this hype is about "Sunny California" because since we arrived on Sunday- it's been nothing but overcast and gloomy. We've been going to all the staple Los Angeles must-sees anxiously awaiting something interesting to happen or to see something that just screams- This is soooo LA, but really, this town couldn't be more normal. The "Golden Triangle" sector in Beverly Hills which encompasses the ever famous shopping district of Rodeo Drive & Wilshire Blvd couldn't have been described better as nothing more than (for all us Torontonians) Yorkville with Palm trees. Yes, the Gucci, Prada, Chanel, Saks Fifth Ave and Versace store fronts beamed off the perfectly manicured sidewalks but on a beautiful sunny day in Toronto, Bloor Street gives Rodeo Drive a run for it's money.

For dinner last night, on recommendation, we went to Miyagi's on Sunset for some good sushi and Sunset Strip culture. Didn't find either. We left and decided to cruise around for a bit checking out what happens around this town after dark. We found Hollywood Blvd- site of the Kodak Theatre (home of the Oscars) and the famous Chinese Theatre, where all those fancy premiers happen. We drove up and down this 4 block strip a few times, but never were enticed enough to actually park and get out to walk around. The flashing souvenirs signs and bright lights of attractions like the Wax Museum and Ripley's Believe It Or Not we figured we could see any old time with an hours drive to Niagara Falls.

Maybe all the hype was just to much, or maybe I'm just missing all the good stuff here in 90210, but so far, I'm not impressed. Tomorrow after an afternoon meeting I'm off to San Diego for just one night. I'm told I will like it there. I'm also planning on getting in a short run. I've been resting now for just about three weeks, and I'm feeling great. No more pain in the mornings. I'm also going crazy with the zero activity... so, tomorrow night, a short jog in San Diego.

S.

2 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

I finally had a chance to read your blog after saving the email you sent back on April the 25th! Great stuff, keep it up! Take it slow and steady when starting back on the training. One word to remember is "STRETCH"! You can never do enough of this! Me and Pamela have a 24 hour single track bike race to train for in two weeks. I've been so busy with work that l've had no time to hit the gym or even get on my bike. This weekend will be the first time on the bike this year back at Rocco's cottage. Anyway.., l just wanted to let you know l support this great challage of yours and that l'll make a donation once l register my new credit card.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks Mike!! Training starts up again this week- I'm adding a day of yoga to the schedule to make sure I get that much needed streching!

Take care.

Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home