Thursday, August 31, 2006

Fundraising Update

Hello Blog Buddies!!!!

This summer has been a busy one! Since my decision to run my first full marathon back in April, I've been crazy busy learning all about this crazy world of running. I have to say- it's been an amazing experience so far as this opportunity has opened so many more doors for me.

Because of the Team Diabetes marathon in Honolulu I took my interest in Triathlons and turned it into getting INVOLVED in Triathlons. To my content.. I've found a new sport to challenge me physically and mentally and now I have something to obsess over through the winter!

I've also taken on this incredible challenge of trying to raise $8,000 for Canadian Diabetes. What I've found out is that this horrible disease affects so many people everyday. Through street sales, raffles, BBQ's, websites/blogs, and just plain spreading the word about what it is that I'm doing... I've met some incredible people that courageously fight diabetes everyday.

Sports and an active lifestyle have become such a vital part of my life that I couldn't ever imagine not being able to enjoy the things I do. I couldn't imagine losing the mobility in my limbs, or relying on insulin injections to keep me going.

There were a number of factors that drew me to this cause. The first is something I think everyone has taken notice of, it's the epidemic taking over young people today- LAZINESS

It's unreal how teenagers, and kids are growing up in a generation of videogames, computers and fast food. Now- I'm not about to get into a serious rant about this.. everyone knows how this debate goes down- fast food and video games vs healthy eating and outdoor activity. And I'll be the first to admit- technological advances have no doubt provided us with some incredible conveinences and I am not one to complain about them- I live in the world of high speed internet and text message my friends more often than I actually talk to them on the phone. However, it seems to be that choosing a healthy life style and living actively is like swimming upstream everyday. I'm going to stop here.. no need to get my self all boiled up midafternoon on a Thursday....

Back to the cause.... right- If part of the fight for a cure for Diabetes is raising awareness for prevention, then I will do my part in spreading the word and lead by example by making healthy choices and endorse healthy living. Everyone can benefit from that.

Today my fundraising has reached $4,869. I am $1,331 away from my minimum to participate in Hawaii and still quite a ways from my goal of $8,000. Many thanks to everyone who has donated already, and for anyone else who wants to make a contribution you can link to the secure Team Diabetes donation page HERE

You can email me anytime if you want more information - EMAIL ME!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home