Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A successful premier season

This weekend was the last race of the Ontario Womens Triathlon Series. What an amazing experience! I have totally fell in love with this Triathlon business and can't wait to start training for next year!

I had a great race. This was by far my best race of the season and I really couldn't have done much better. I took the day off on Saturday so even though I thought maybe I should have gone for a short run or a light swim, I think I may have been better off with the rest. Sunday morning before the race I went for a short jog to loosen up and get my head straight, and I think it was the perfect balance for me.

The swim was tough for some reason, I wasn't feeling like I was into a good groove, it was a bit forced and so I thought that I was falling behind right from the start. Turns out that wasn't the case at all. I had a great swim time of 9:04min.

Here's me coming out of the swim:





Remember back to my first race? I had a terrible case of the noodle legs and coming in and out of transitions was quite dramatic and I almost caused a domino effect on innocent runners?? I was laughing to myself in T1 this time too because I had a bad case of the shakes coming out of the water. Putting on my shoes and shorts for the bike/run was Laugh Out Loud funny.. I just about fell right over.

Out on the bike course.. I'm not sure what was going on with me that day.. but MAN! I was EATING UP THAT COURSE!!! I came out strong and just never slowed down. The course was quite hilly and a couple big climbs. On my heavy mountain bike you would think that I would have been lost at the back of the pack- TOTALLY NOT WHAT HAPPENED! I must have passed 5 or 6 people in the first half. Coming home, I found a woman on a road bike and used her as motivation. I caught up to her and passed her on a downhill. We kept going back and forth almost the entire half of the course. She passed me, then I passed her.. I thought for sure I had her... but she passed me on the flat coming into home. Oh well- I kicked her a$$ on the run anyhow ;)



I was really looking forward to my run. This was going to be the run where I have no "pace", no timing, no strategy. This is a 2.5K run. This is nothing! This is not even a run this is a warm-up! So- here's my plan- I'm just given'er! I dropped my bike in transition and headed for the Run Exit. The entire first quarter of this run is uphill. Right out of the gate. HOWEVER- while I'm running up this hill thinking - CRAP- THIS IS HARD! I'm also thinking to myself that this is just as hard to everyone else. The difference is that I'm ready for it. I trained for it. I want it. I LOVE IT! This is the stuff that makes me come out to these races. This is the stuff that makes my blood pump. And those are the reasons that are going to make me finish the race before any of these women. Hills were not an issue. I finished the run in my best time yet.






I finished 28th out of 182 women in the race.

I finished 5th out of 33 in my age group.

I finished 2nd overall in the entire series for Ontario.

What a summer it was! I can't wait until next season when I've got my new road bike that I'll be saving for over the winter. My goal for next year is to compete in the Olympic distance Triathlons across Ontario. CAN'T WAIT!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home